IADR Geriatric Oral Research Awards
Supported by J. Morita Corporation
The J. Morita Award for Junior Investigators
The J. Morita Award Poster Competition invites junior investigators to apply according to the following criteria:
The Jonathan Ship Award: for dental student candidates.
The J. Morita Pre-doctoral Award: for candidates with a clinical doctoral level degree, DDS, DMD, BDS, MD (or equivalent).
The J. Morita Post-doctoral Award: for those in pursuit of, or already have, a research doctorate, PhD, and may already have a DDS, BDS, MD, or DMD (or equivalent). Those individuals who are university faculty members must be instructors or assistant professors (or equivalent junior faculty rank) or in a post-doctoral position.
Eligibility, Selection, and Application for all Awards
• Applicants must have conducted their own original research in geriatric oral health, and they must submit their research findings as an abstract for poster presentation at the J. Morita Awards GORG session at the IADR meeting in the year of application.
• In submitting their abstract for the J. Morita Awards Poster Session, applicants must abide by the conditions specified by IADR, including the requirement to present the poster in person at the applicable meeting.
• For abstracts with multiple authors, the applicant need not necessarily be listed as the first author, but must be the presenting author.
• No person may receive two IADR awards at the same meeting.
• Applicants may be IADR members or non-members.
• Applicants are not eligible to win any Morita Award more than two times in a five-year period.
A judging panel appointed by the Awards Committee Chair will evaluate each applicant's research based on information presented in the abstract submitted for the IADR meeting, an additional extended abstract describing the research in greater detail, and the presentation by the applicant at the meeting. Each award includes a monetary prize and a certificate. The award recipients will be announced at the GORG Annual Business Meeting held during the IADR General Session. All award candidates are strongly encouraged to attend the business meeting.
The panel will use the following criteria:
• Importance of the research question: Does the research address basic mechanisms of aging, occurrence of disease or disorders in the aged, and/or prevention and treatment of those diseases or disorders?
• Originality and scientific design of the investigation: Is the research new, and is the design of the research appropriate to address the research questions?
• Appropriateness of methods and analysis: Does the research use appropriate experimental methods and analytic techniques?
• Soundness of conclusions: Are there appropriate interpretations of the results, and do conclusions relate clearly to the research questions?
When completing the abstract form for the IADR General Session, applicants for the J. Morita Awards should 1) indicate their student status; 2) indicate their intent to compete for the J. Morita Geriatric Oral Research Awards - in poster format only; and, 3) request review by the Geriatric Oral Research Group as a potential candidate for the J. Morita Awards Competition. After abstract review for the competition, accepted applicants will subsequently be identified and contacted by the Chair of the Awards Committee after the closing date for submission of abstracts, October 13, 2016, inviting them to submit additional documents.
Additional information about the awards can be obtained from:
Dr. Xi Chen
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry
University of Iowa College of Dentistry
330 Dental Science Building N
Iowa City, IA 52242
The J. Morita Pre-doctoral Category First Prize:
Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Oral Mycobiome in Japanese Elderly Adults
The J. Morita Post-doctoral Category First Prize:
University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Validation of a New Colourimetric Technique to Assess Chewing Efficiency
The Jonathan Ship Award:
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Dentistry, Houston, Texas
Oral Health Care Needs Assessment in Patients with Movement Disorders
The Jonathan Ship Award
Dental Student Category: Q.A. Aminu
Oral health status of institutionalized and homebound elderly
The J. Morita Award
Pre-doctoral Category First Prize: Yusuke Mihara
Association of salivary flow rate with dietary intakes in elderly
Pre-doctoral Category Second Prize: Xiangqun Ju
Systemic diseases predict periodontal attachment loss progression: A longitudinal study
Post-doctoral Category First Prize: Gerald McKenna
Caries incidence following tooth replacement for partially dentate elders
Post-doctoral Category Second Prize: Thais Goncalves
Fixed and removable implant-supported partial dentures: Mastication and nutritional assessment
Pre-doctoral Category; First Prize: Yuko Kurushima
"Genetic and Environmental Influnces on Oral Condition among Elder Twins"
Pre-doctoral Category; SecondPrize: Fanny Elsig
"Tooth Loss in Geriatric Patients: a Risk for Cognitive Impairment?"
Post-doctoral Category; First Prize: Xi Chen
"Dental Care Pattern in Older Adults at the End-of-Life"
Post-doctoral Category; Second Prize: Slivia Siqueira
"Oral Infections and Orofacial Pain in Alzheimer's Disease: a Case-Control Study"
Post-doctoral Category; First Prize: Toshinobu Hirotomi, Niigata University, Japan
"Number of teeth and 5-year mortality in an elderly population"
Post-doctoral Category; First Prize: Laura B. Kaufman, Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine
"Centenarian Offspring: Oral Health Outcomes Reflect Systemic Health"
Post-doctoral Category; Second Prize: Taiji Ogawa, Osaka University, Japan
"Poor oral condition promotes harboring salivary pneumococcus in elderly"
Pre-doctoral Category; First Prize: Gert-Jan van der Putten
Post-doctoral Category; First Prize: Noriko Hiraishi
Post-doctoral Category; Second Prize: Melissa Adiatman
Pre-doctoral Category; First Prize: Leeann Donnelly
Pre-doctoral Category; Second Prize: Gert-Jan Van der Putten
Post-doctoral Category; First Prize: Matthew Hopcraft
Post-doctoral Category; Second Prize: Nur Mohammad Monsur Hassan
Jonathan Ship Award