AADR/ADA: Bridging Research Evidence and Clinical Decision-making
This symposium will go beyond the basic skills and comprehension of evidence-based dentistry and focus on specific resources and opportunities to interpret research evidence for clinical decision-making. The American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Association for Dental Research (AADR) recognize the challenge facing both clinicians and researchers today to build this bridge and improve patient care. This symposium seeks to enhance understanding and utilization of research evidence—providing insight for clinicians in deciphering published research and for researchers to understand the best presentation of their evidence in the context of clinical decision-making.
By the end of this symposium, participants will:
- To discuss the role of researchers working in basic science and applied research to inform and improve clinical practice.
- To discuss the value of making health care decisions informed by evidence in clinical practice.
- To discuss the challenges faced by researchers in disseminating their findings to clinicians.
- To discuss the challenges faced by clinicians when trying to inform their clinical practice using scientific information.
- To discuss the role and challenges of agencies and other institutions translating knowledge into practice.
Opening remarks: Lindsey Robinson, ADA Trustee, EBD Champion
Bridging Research Evidence and Clinical Decision-making: Alonso Carrasco-Labra, Director, Center for Evidence Based Dentistry, ADA and Jocelyne Feine, Editor, JDR Clinical & Translational Research