IADR BEHSR Lois Cohen International Travel Award
Deadline: October 13, 2016
This award has been created by the Behavioral, Epidemiologic and Health Services Research Group (BEHSR) Scientific Group of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) in recognition of the outstanding contribution Dr. Lois Cohen has made over the course of her career to the field of oral health-related research in general, and the fields of behavioral, social science, public health, and international research in oral health in particular. Dr. Cohen led in the development of subjective, patient-based indicators in oral health and in the study of oral health delivery systems, and subsequently became a leader in the creation of opportunities in dental public health research, particularly international work promoting partnerships among researchers in the developing and industrialized world.
Terms of Award:
- To recognize outstanding research performed by pre-doctoral/post-doctoral students, as well as faculty within 5 years of their terminal degree, in the fields of behavioral, social science, public health, and international research in oral health, AND affiliated with institutions located in countries designated as lower middle income or below according to the World Bank classification.
- To promote the attendance of dental, graduate and other students, as well as faculty, from all parts of the world who are working in these fields at the annual IADR scientific meeting.
- To preserve a legacy of the work of Lois Cohen as an outstanding example to future researchers working in the fields of behavioral, social science, public health, and international research in oral health.
- Candidates must currently be 1) a part-time or full-time pre-doctoral or post-doctoral student at any level in a recognized university program located in countries designated as lower middle income or below according to the World Bank classification; OR 2) have received a terminal degree from a university program -- no more than five calendar years prior to the IADR abstract submission deadline -- and be employed as a faculty member in an institution located in countries designated as lower middle income or below according to the world bank classification. To determine the World Bank classification for a particular country, please visit: http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/CLASS.XLS.
- Candidates must submit an abstract for presentation at an IADR scientific meeting, identifying the BEHSR scientific group as that group to which the abstract should be submitted for review, and identifying that they wish to be considered for the award.
- Candidates must be the presenting author.
For each annual IADR scientific meeting, ONE award of US $500 will be made in EACH of the 2 candidate categories outlined in eligibility criterion #1 above. Awards will be announced at the business meeting of the BEHSR scientific group at each of these meetings.
All pre-doctoral/post-doctoral students and faculty researchers, meeting the criteria outlined above, submitting an abstract for presentation at the annual IADR scientific meeting, identifying the BEHSR scientific group as that which should review the submission, and indicating that they wish to be considered for the award, may be entered into the competition.
Review and Selection Process:
Abstracts submitted for the Lois Cohen International Travel Award will be peer-reviewed by two or three members of the scientific community with the appropriate expertise to evaluate the submissions. These reviewers will normally be members of the BEHSR scientific group. Each submission will be evaluated for:
- Meeting the author eligibility criteria outlined above
- The relevance of the subject to the fields of behavioral, social science, public health, and international research in oral health
- The innovativeness of the subject matter to the fields of behavioral, social science, public health, and international research in oral health
- The clarity of the aims
- The quality of the methodology
- An overall evaluation of the quality of the abstract
Abstracts will be scored and ranked independently by each of the reviewers. Where disagreement occurs, discussion among reviewers will resolve any differences. The reviewers will agree to a final ranking of the top abstract in each of the two award categories.
Supported by the BEHSR Group.
Contributions toward the establishment of a fund in Dr. Cohen’s honor, dedicated to the support of these annual awards, are most welcome. Please contact the Fund Coordinators:
Samuel Dworkin, email@example.com
Tehran University of Medical Sciences