Deadlines: October 1, 2021 (Letter of Intent)
(Letters of Intent are only accepted from Officers of an IADR Region, Division or Section.)
A priority of the IADR Strategic Plan is to promote oral health research worldwide, with specific emphasis on assisting regions with less developed research programs, including Regions that may have developed and less developed Divisions/Sections within.
Each year, the IADR RDP Committee requests proposals for grants to initiate research and development or otherwise strengthen the oral health research infrastructure in developing regions:
- Consideration will be given to supporting ongoing initiatives that have demonstrated an ability to promote research development.
- Each Division/Section can be the recipient of only one grant per year.
- Current Regional Board Members are available to assist with Regional Development proposals, but may not receive any financial support from funds granted.
- Funds cannot be used for honoraria or for consultancy fees to IADR members.
Purpose of Request for Proposals (RFP):
The purpose of the RFP is to identify projects, submitted by IADR Divisions/Sections that will qualify for funding support.
Where appropriate, coalitions of Divisions/Regions are encouraged to join together to submit proposals and implement programs.
Wherever possible, the use of matching funds to enhance the effort is encouraged.
Focus of Proposals:
The highest priority will be placed on those proposals targeting support for:
- Projects that will initiate Research and Development and will be sustainable beyond the funds requested.
- Mentoring of developing scientists, e.g., travel for established scientists to work on site with students/developing researchers for various periods of time.
Special emphasis will be given to proposals that score highly on the extent to which the proposed project will:
- develop research capacity of local researchers
- develop sustainability of local researchers
- have an impact on regional oral health
- involve collaboration with expert partners
- involve current IADR members at the local level
- have potential for recruitment and promotion of new members at the local level
- have a strategy to report results at any IADR meeting
- have measurable or operative research outcomes
- have matching funds committed by coalition partners
Note that the RDP program was not established to focus on the teaching of research methods because this responsibility belongs to dental schools. Therefore, workshops and lecture programs on research methods will not be considered for funding.
How to Apply for Funding:
The RDP is competitive and IADR cannot fund all of the applications. The total budget for the RDP is US$60,000 per year and from this IADR usually funds 3-4 projects. Therefore, keep this in mind when planning and submitting the proposed budget for your project. The total budget may not be distributed if the quality of submitted projects does not reach the required standard.No one grant will receive this total amount, nor will the total amount be distributed if the quality of submitted projects is substandard.
There is a two-stage application process – Letter of Intent and Full Proposal.
Letter of Intent:
This letter briefly describes the project proposal.
It should be no longer than two pages and set out under the headings: Background, Purpose, Strategy, Outcomes.
All Letters of Intent must be emailed to Sheri S. Herren, Assistant Director of Strategic Programs at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission of Full Proposal:
Based on the letter, the Committee will recommend whether or not the project is selected for further development as a full proposal in greater detail for consideration the following February.
Grant applications that lack the required information will be returned to the originators with an explanation of the proposal’s shortcomings.
Deadline for email of Full Proposal: February 1, 2022 - by Invitation of the RDP Committee only. (Application forms will be sent with the request for proposals.)
The Regional Development Committee reviews proposals and makes a recommendation for final approval by the IADR Strategic and Operational Planning Committee (SOPC).
Applicants are notified with a decision in May, 2022.
Funding instructions are given in the formal notification letter to recipients.
For inquiries, contact Sheri S. Herren, Assistant Director of Strategic Programs at email@example.com.